Thursday, February 22, 2007

Buy you a Chevrolet?

To be a fan of Supernatural, it is almost a prerequisite that you love the 1967 Chevrolet Impala (a.k.a. the "Metallicar") that the boys tool around in. What I didn't realize is that Chevy still makes an Impala. Of course, I immediately had to check one out.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered that this:



Had become this:



My first thought: oh Chevy, how the mighty have fallen. The Metallicar is a 4-door sedan, but it is a cool 4-door sedan. The 2007 Impala? Not so much. Better than a Malibu, but if I wanted a mid-line sedan, I'd probably buy a Honda Civic instead. That thought also led me to remember the Chevy ad from the latest crop of Superbowl commercials. As James Poniewozik noted in his write-up on the spectacle, this ad does more to reinforce how iconic Chevrolet used to be, rather than how influential it's vehicles are today. After looking at the 2007 Impala, it's no wonder that Chevrolet is drowning in red ink. I mean, does anyone think someone is going to be making buttons out of a 2007 Impala forty years from now?

No comments: